Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Overboard, but Happy

Well, I got carried away the other day and bought a pile of kits. I spent too much money, but filled up the coming weeks with happiness.

For Russia!
From S&S models-
3xT-80BV for my current day Russian Federal Army.
3x the (half) new BTR-T. Half new because it is built on the old T-55 chassis. These will come in handy as fire support and troop carriers.
From Ace-
3xBMD-1. I think these are outdated, but according to the often unreliable, but useful Wikipedia, Russia still has 715 in active units, and 2400 in storage.

For the Army of the Islamic Republic of Iran!
2x of the very cute Airfix Scorpion tank. The Iranian Army has 110 in active units, again according to wiki.
Last week I ordered three of the Trumpeter Chinese Type-59 tanks. According to the wiki, Iran has a total of 760 T-55/4 and Type-59s. The majority of which have been converted to T-72z, Safir-74, and Type-72z respectively. I figured I could get away with the conversion simply by adding ERA all over the thing.

That about covers it, oh yeah I spent too much.

Not all has been fiscal investment though, I have made some improvements to my collection lately, most recent are my Russian Federal forces.

Rather than make a separate stand alone platoon, I made a platoon of conversions and mixed them into the other two to make three total platoons with some unique figures in each.


Here is another little something I have worked on. Georgian Army T-72BV. This used to be the old Revell kit.

The ERA is airdry clay pressed onto some leftover plastic sheet skirt armor from my large PzIII collection.

IMO, it looks better than it did sitting in my "bad guy" box unloved.


The applique armor is also from airdry. I looks like it cracked but it didn't. These are panel lines between sheets. When treated correctly, this stuff is durable and easy to work with.
Enjoy!

16 comments:

  1. Love the work you've done with the ERA and appliqur armour. Very impressive work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Pete! I am happy with it as well, yesterday I finished the other two T-72, I think I will keep them for the Russians this time.

      Delete
  2. very very impressive work on that T-72BV! I hope that your financial situation pics up soon my friend but at least your model stash should easily cover any tough times

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Gowan! I'm not too worried about it, or I wouldn't have spent it. I'm just not used to buying so much in the space of two-three days, maybe the Congressional Budget Office should consider me for the new year eh?

      Delete
  3. That tank looks awesome! Looking forward to more pics from your recent commission.

    And as long as you don´t have to starve for the next few weeks or had to delay some other important purchases, the happiness will probably overcompensate that dent in the budget ;) Remember, money is just numbers on a bank account, as long as you dont spend it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks BG, and you are correct. I like to buy stuff, but I don't like to spend money. This is worth it though, my Russians were feeling neglected :D

      Delete
  4. Hello, I like very much your blog, your figurines and models.
    I put one shortened on my blog towards your.
    Here is the address of my blog on the same subject

    http://michel3d.canalblog.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is some very interesting things at you blog as well, thanks for the link! I will put a link to yours in just a moment!

      Delete
  5. That's a simple and effective idea for creating ERA - thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Any time Eastern Funker, any time. Seriously, I am happy with the result as well, I think the bricks may have some size issues in a few spots, but I think it looks better than the M1 model in the box.

      Delete
  6. The applique armor looks good, Ben. The T80 is awesome! Wow you must have spent a heap but we will all equally reap the rewards!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Steven, the NATO code name is "super Dolly Parton" applique armor or something like that! I was happy with the way that part looked as well, I was inspired by an article I have by a guy making the t72B version.

      Delete
  7. Looks real good Ben! You can never spent to much money on the hobby! :-D

    Greetings
    Peter
    http://peterscave.blogspot.be/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Peter! You are correct of course, I never argue with a Belgian about hobby matters!

      Delete
  8. Some great work there Ben, your modern collection is growing quite steadily eh?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks Al! And you are correct, I'm trying :D

    ReplyDelete