Saturday, January 9, 2021

15mm US Army HMMWV Recon Platoon - WIP

 

I found a lot of 8 HMMWVs on Ebay for $25. These are normally $5 each from Irishserb, but have been out of production for a several months. I was pretty happy with the deal and decided to use them to expand my collection of US Army 1st Cavalry for 2004 Iraq. 

These are the first iteration of "up-armored" HMMWVs made in response to the atrocious losses suffered by the softskin HMMWVs in the beginning of the insurgency. They were still a pretty crap vehicle, but anyway.

3 turrets and 5 closed hatches were included in the lot. I wanted to use the turrets as well as open hatches. I had some spare open hatches from the Team Yankee of (softskin) HMMWVs and simply glued these on. I had a mix of gun shields from my spares box, but the result was a bit too "Mad Max" for my taste, so I made a template and cut the remaining shields out of tin from a kipper can. 

I full scout platoon will require two more HMMWVs, but I will add these at some later date. The actual platoon, as well as my unit here, are split half-and-half with M2 machine guns and Mk19 grenade launchers. I also attached some spare pieces that I will paint as AT4 rocket launchers - these are pretty common on HMMWV turrets. I also added lots of ammo boxes, as well as some stowage on the back that I will paint mostly as cardboard supply boxes. 

I added some shell casings to the tops of the vehicles, as I suspect that these would tend to pile up in a firefight. I will see how they look once painted. 

Finally, the crew are a mix of Team Yankee and some conversions based on ArmiesArmy brit bodies. Not perfect, but I think they'll work when painted. 

Thanks for looking. 













2 comments: