Monday, February 8, 2021

Forged in Battle Nikeforian Byzantines Compared with Other Miniatures

This is a work in progress. I wanted to expand my Byzantine army with some medium cavalry and horse archer units, and thought I'd try the new Forged in Battle figures.  


They seem to paint up well enough. I modified some horse archers into lancers to add some variety, as I think the greatest drawback is the limited pose selection. This is understandable considering that the FIB dark ages line is extensive and was released all at once. 


I will be painting 3 5-man stands of lancers, including the commander and trumpeter. 


The cavalry figures seem to match pretty well with Khurasan's counterparts. The left figure is a Khurasan Byzantine with a headswap.

My other complaint about the FIB figures is the silly looking horse pose. These horses with the hunched-in heads and half-rearing action are pretty distinct looking, and account for about half of the horses provided. I would have preferred a more generic and natural pose. Also the figures sit much too far back on all the horses and there is a significant gap between the rider and the horse's back for most. 


I painted the commander's cape with a motif I have seen in Byzantine manuscripts. It was pretty fun. 


I will be painting these heavy horse archers next. 


Finally here's a comparison of the infantry, which are much less compatible with my existing collection than the cavalry. L-R: Khurasan, Forged in Battle, Donnington New Era, Forged in Battle, Legio heroica. They are a perfect match with Legio Heroica, but I don't think I will be purchasing any more FIB infantry in the future. 

I hope this has been helpful. 

No comments:

Post a Comment